1. What are the “Cookies”?
The Cookie is a small sized file, containing letters and numbers, which will be stored on the computer, the mobile device or other equipment of a certain user and they are used to access the Internet. The Cookie is installed through the request sent by the server of a certain web page to the browser /example: Internet Explorer, Chrome etc/ and is completely passive /it doesn’t contain software programs, viruses or spyware also doesn’t have access to the hardware of the user/.
2. What are the “Cookies” used for?
These files make possible the recognition of the user’s device and the presenting of the content in a specific way adapted to the user’s preferences. The Cookies assure to the user a pleasant experience during the navigation in Internet.
3. What “Cookies" are we using?
We are using two types of Cookies – of user’s session and fixed. The last ones are temporary files, which stay in the user’s device to the end of the session or until the application is closed /the web browser/. The fixed files remain on the user’s device for the period set from the Cookies or until the user deletes them manually.
4. Are the “Cookies” containing personal data?
The Cookies don not require personal information. They do not identify the personality of the Internet user. The personal data collected when Cookies are used can be only to ease the experience of the user. The data is encrypted not to allow the unauthorized persons to get access to it.
5. Deleting “Cookies”
6. Why the “Cookies” are important for Internet?
The Cookies are the central point for effective functioning in Internet, help drafting a certain model of interests and preferences of every user. Disagreement or deactivation of the Cookies might make some sites impossible to use. Disagreement or deactivation of the Cookies does not mean that the user will not get online advertisements but that the preferred ones /collected during the browsing of Internet/ will not show up in to your account. Examples of important roles of the Cookies /that do not require verification through an account/:
- Content and services adapted to the user’s preferences – categories of products and services.
- Offers adapted to the user’s preferences – memorizing of passwords.
- Memorizing the parameters of the filters for child protection concerning Internet contents (option family mode, function safe search).
- Limiting the frequency of using the advertisements – limiting a certain add for a specified user of the site.
- Showing advertisement that would be of the user’s interest.
- Measuring, optimization and the characteristics from analytics – how to confirm a certain level of traffic in the website, what type of contents are visualized and the way to reach a certain website by the user /example: browsers, direct or other websites etc./. The websites develop these analyses and their usage in purpose to improve the site in users’ advantage.
7. Security and Confidentiality
Cookies are not viruses! They use the form of a simple text. They are not made from parts of codes and cannot be duplicated or copied in other networks this is why they are not considered viruses.
Cookies are used for negative purposes as well as they keep information for the preferences and the surfing history of the user for a certain site and most of the other sites and they can be used as Spyware. Many anti-spy software are not aware of that fact and all the time mark and clean the cookies.
The browsers have protection for the persona data and ensure different levels of cookie acceptance with period of validity and automated removal after the user leaves the site.
Other security aspects connected to the Cookies:
The personal data protection is very important and is a right of every Internet user. It is recommended to get to know the problems that the Cookies can cause. Through them is sent constant information between the browser and the website and in case that a hacker or an unauthorized person is interfering during the data exchange then the information containing Cookies might be caught.
It could happen in rare cases if the browser connects to the server through an unencrypted network /for example: wireless and not protected by a password network/.
Deactivating of the Cookies will not allow an access of the user to the most used sites like YouTube, Gmail etc. Here are few advices that can ensure the seving without any worries and with the help of the Cookies.
- Personalize the settings of the browser to a suitable level of protection from the usage of Cookies.
- If you are not worried from the Cookies and you are the only person using the computer you can set longer terms for expiring of the archives with the surfing history and the personal data access.
- If you share the computer with other people you can set the browser settings to delete the surfing data after you close the browser.
- Install and maintain applications anti-spyware.
Make sure that your browser is always up to date.
All modern browsers offer the possibility to change the settings of the Cookies. These settings are situated in OPTIONS or in the menu PREFERENCES of your browser.